Projects

Where Ya App - Android

September 2016
Github | Project Site | Devpost

Process

Considered the problems we faced as college students
Given our team size of four, evaluated the amount of code we could write in two days
Evaluated the different APIs we could use, as learning to use APIs was one of our team goals
Helped conceptualize the app and design the flow/UX

Coding

Learned to interact with Firebase and use Facebook's Graph API to access user's friend list
Integrated Google's material design stype guide in both flat UI color choice and material elements, using XML
Established the foundation for the settings activity
Used ArrayAdapeter and ListView to turn Facebook User Data from JSON to ArrayList

Collaboration

Worked with three others to create a semifunctional prototype in two days
Used GitHub branches to work on the same project and dealt with merge conflicts
Learned to work together to talk through and physically map out code, especially to work through ranking algorithmic logic
Improved collaborative programming skills, including explaining logic to others and working together to fix bugs

GT Ramblin' Raas - Web

April 2017
Project

Process

Considered the needs of the team
Factored in possible ways to display performances
Considered emphasizing different things

Coding

Used an HTML5UP template to begin with
Modified CSS to accomodate the needs of the website, including adding all the CSS for the member photos
Working on adding javascript neccesary to have videos play in modal boxes

StreetLens

December 2016
Github | Devpost

Process

Evaluated possible uses of HoloLens in context of the cities theme
Created a plan for an Android app and HoloLens interaction
Brainstormed use cases of the StreeLens idea
Discovered bluetooth data transfer was not possible with HoloLens
Restructured app to be standalone on HoloLens

Coding

Learned C#
Worked with Microsoft Visual Studio
Wrote an algorithm to pull direction data from Google Maps and display changing images at the correct time

Collaboration

Pair programmed
Used GitHub to work on the same project
Learned to articulate thinking well, especially while working on the time based view changing

Evade - Android Game

September 2016
Github

Process

Planned out a game concept with two other CS majors
Created a process map to map out different Android activities
Brainstormed minor additions to the game such as changing difficulty, changing character, etc

Coding

Learned to use multiple Android activities
Worked with Timer and Threads
Increased understanding of XML and modifying UI dynamically
Stored variable data through app restarts
Utilized JSON for SharedPreferences through the gson library

Collaboration

Worked with two others to create a coherent app
Used GitHub to work on the same project
Learned to comment clearly to allow others to understand code
Improved collaborative programming skills, including explaining logic to others and working together to fix bugs

@saveforlaterbot - Twitter Bot

September 2016
Github

Bot does not run on Twitter right now due to financial constraints and demands of the server.

Process

I user Twitter as a news source. Frequently, I come across links that I want to read but don't have enough time for. I used to favorite tweets to "bookmark" them, but I would frequently forget. Thus, this idea was born.
Not knowing how to work with external APIs, I mapped out and then pseudocoded the process

Coding

Researched multiple Twitter API wrappers for Python, out of which emerged Tweepy in the foremost position
Read documentation for the wrapper class
Wrote a basic python script to Tweet some arbitrary text for every mention
Added the functionality to reply to the tweet that contained the mention
Converted code to take the object-oriented approach
Used the time difference between present and tweet creation time to determine if it had been 6 hours and the bot should tweet

Personal Website

May 2015
Github (old site)

Process

Wrote out content for website
Sketched possible layouts
Searched for static page templates

Coding

Modified HTML and CSS from the template
Learned CSS from Codecademy

Modifications

Recreated site to this current state, which I did through an HTML5UP template. Added significant content, and changed it to reflect my status as a first-year college student.

Elevens - AP Computer Science

March 2015

Process

Mapped out classes to be created

Coding

Implemented a Java GUI
Used core OOP principles, including polymorphism
Wrote sorting algorithms